The combination of apples and almonds is one of my favorites,
Especially these days when the mornings beggins to get chilly.
I imagine myself on those mornings sipping on a good cup of tea next to a sweet and fun indulgence.
This is how my apple and almond squares were born.
Three layers in one bite – that’s all the magic.
Soft and good basic cake layer,
On top there’s a layer of thinly sliced apples creating marvelous moisture.
And on top of everything is placed a glorious cramble,
One that makes every bite sensational.
It makes everything come together,
Makes the almond pop,
Makes the taste of apples stronger.
And creates a big enjoyable celebration.
To create a marvelous bite I chose Smith green apples.
They are tart and wonderful.
During baking, their sweetness is getting more noticeable,
Their texture is amazing and they give in to the pastry.
And of course, combining them with the almonds is the most indulging thing you’ll meet.
These are my apple and almond squares,
It sounds so sweet, almost like a song playing in the background.
A marvelous bite full of precision,
One that doesn’t require a lot of work but provides a marvelous texture experience.
Heat up the tea pot,
This is a bite that you just have to have a good cup of tea with.
Happy and tasty apple and almond days to us all 🙂
Apple and Almond Squares
Ingredients: suitable for a pan size 25*25cm (0.4*0.4’’)
- 4 eggs size M / L
- ¼ cup almond butter (For more options, have a look at “A little extra From Me”)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon (Not a must)
- ½ cup non-dairy / regular milk
- ⅓ cup sugar (For more options, have a look at “A little extra From Me”)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup almond butter
- ½ cup oat flour (For more options, have a look at “A little extra From Me”)
- 1 bag baking powder (10g)
- 2 Smith green apples
For the crumble:
- ⅓ cup almond flour
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons almond butter
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) on turbo mode and line a baking pan size 25*25cm (0.4*0.4’’) with parchment paper.
- In a bowl put all liquid ingredients, eggs, almond butter, cinnamon, milk, sugar and salt and mix well until forming a uniform mixture.
- To the bowl add dry ingredients, almond flour, out flour, baking powder and mix well until forming a uniform smooth mixture.
- Pour our mixture into the baking pan.
- Peel the apple into thin slices using a peeler and place them on top of the mixture.
- In a bowl put all crumble ingredients, almond flour, sliced almonds, almond butter and cinnamon and mix well. Scatter the crumble on top of the apple slices evenly.
- Put in the oven and bake for between 20-25 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted into the cake comes out dry.
Cut the cake into tasty squares of happiness and serve 🙂
A little extra from me:
- Can be kept in a sealed box in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Oat flour can be substituted for rice flour / almond flour / teff flour.
- Click here to see how to grind oat flour at home.
- Sugar can be substituted for coconut sugar or maple syrup.
- Almond butter can be substituted for tahini, peanut butter or any other nut butter / applesauce.
- The cake can be made without the crumble.
- Cinnamon isn’t a must if you don’t like it.
- White raisins can be added to the cake mixture if you like them.
- Can also use a different type of apples, but this is the most recommended type for this recipe.
How to grind oatmeal at home 🙂