Ready to meet the new sister of our undisputed queen the Tahini Pita Bread?
Please meet – our new grain bun.
Microwave grain bun,
So quick to prepare that in less than 5 minutes you’ll have an insane bite in your hand.
My grain bun can work with a wide variety of flours,
It’s full of possibilities in its ingredients and with zero compromise on its taste and texture.
When preparing the bun for the first time you fall in love,
It’s not just another bite,
It’s the most indulgent, balanced and comforting bite that you’ll ever meet.
My grain bun is so magical that after making it once you will make it again and again,
Each time in a slightly different version until you reach the one that captures your heart.
It’s a bun of home and good days,
It’ll make everyone who give it a bite happy,
It’ll thrill everyone who meets it,
It’ll hug anyone who tastes it,
This is a bun that came to bring good news,
It’s here to accompany you throughout your work / study days.
Stay fresh and super tasty,
And be here for all of us.
Because we all need an available and quick bite to have by our side on busy days.
Five quick minutes of preparation,
And this insane bite will be waiting to celebrate with you with lots of love 🙂
Balanced, happy and joyful routine days for all of us 🙂
Microwave Grain Bun
Suitable for one bun
- 1 tablespoon ground flax (can be replaced with chia seeds or flour of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon of sunflower seeds (for alternatives, have a look at “A little extra from me”)
- 1 tablespoon of almond flour / oat flour (for alternatives, have a look at “A little extra from me”)
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon yogurt (can be replaced with 1 tablespoon of raw tahini + 1 tablespoon of water)
Prepare two small bowls, one for mixing the batter and another suitable for the microwave.
Choose a bowl of the size suitable for a mini bun, I recommend choosing a relatively small and deep bowl,
I chose a round bowl with a diameter of 5.5“ (14cm).
Put all the ingredients in the mixing bowl in the following order:
Ground flax, chia seeds, 1 tablespoon of flour of your choice (I chose almond flour / oat flour), sunflower seeds, salt, baking powder, egg, yogurt / raw tahini and mixed well.
Kindly note – mixing is very, very, very important, so mix well.
In a bowl suitable for the microwave, smear a little olive oil, pour the batter into the bowl and put it in the microwave for 2 – 2.5 minutes and carefully take it out of the microwave. I recommend doing so with a kitchen towel.
Let the bun cool on the counter or cutting board, not in the bowl where we prepared the bun. Cut in half, fill with good things and serve.
Kindly note, if the center of your bun is still a little liquid, heat it in the microwave for another 15-30 seconds.
A little extra from me:
- It’s super fun to burn the bun after you’ve split it into two halves. I like to do this on a pan or in a panini press.
- The bun can be kept in a sealed box for 2 days.
- The bun lasts amazingly when you pack it for a work / school day. I recommend packing it in paper and in a sealed box.
- Unfortunately there’s no substitute for the egg.
- You can bake the bun in an oven-safe dish at 355°F (180°C) for 10-15 minutes.
- You can replace the sunflower seeds with sesame / flax seeds / pumpkin seeds.
- You can replace the almond flour / oat flour with quinoa flour / coconut flour / spelt flour (contains gluten).