This cake started out as the ugly duckling.
It was born from a sweet memory of my childhood birthday parties in kindergarten.
This perfect chocolate cake is the simplest yet the most delicious.
It is perfect for birthdays in kindergarten, actually for birthdays in general.
It is suitable for any holiday or event or just when you want to end a day filled with experience and indulge yourself with an indulgent and good cake.
It is suitable when you simply want to make the most festive and fun cake after a good meal,
Or you want something sweet for a wonderful week.
You just have to find a little excuse to make it and it’s yours.
When I made it for the first time, it won my heart.
It made me laugh out loud and put the biggest smile on my face.
It reminded me of days of innocence and a lot of contentment in my heart.
Since that moment It became my “gift cake”,
Because I like to give it to loved ones,
To give it at the end of a good meal,
And give it to myself in many different wonderful moments.
It beautified over time and It certainly remained corrupted, but no longer ugly.
On the other hand, it’s the nickname the cake got and it stayed with it from the moment it was born.
Since I am connected to this cake, I decided to make it in honor of an event that was very close to my heart – the first birthday of my dear son Michael.
Since it was an event that was very special and close to my heart, I decided to go big and made it twice as big.
one for me and one for him,
This means two floors of the most maddening “ugly” corrupted cake there is,
And on top of everything I placed Michael’s favorite fruit – strawberries,
And the beauty was spirit lifting.
This cake, like all the other recipes on my website, is gluten-free and dairy-free.
It’s full of healthy, good and high quality ingredients.
A few minutes of work and the cake is yours 🙂
Perfect Chocolate Cake
Ingredients for the cake: suitable for a round cooking pan 26cm (10.2”) diameter / big loaf baking pan (Not disposable)
Ingredients for the cake:
- 200g dark chocolate
- ½ cup milk non-dairy / regular
- ½ cup olive oil / coconut oil
- 4 eggs size M / L
- ½ cup sugar (For alternatives, have a look at “A little extra from me”)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (Not a must)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1½ cups almond flour (For alternatives, have a look at “A little extra from me”)
- ½ cup oat flour (For alternatives, have a look at “A little extra from me”)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (10g)
Ingredients for the chocolate cream:
- ¼ cup milk non-dairy / regular
- 1 tablespoon olive oil / coconut oil
- 100g dark chocolate
Ingredients for decoration: 250g fresh strawberries halved without removing their green leaves.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl put the dark chocolate broken into cubes, the milk and the oil and heat in the microwave in pulses of 30 seconds until forming a smooth cream for the cake.
- In a large bowl or mixer, put the eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, cocoa powder and chocolate cream that we melted in the microwave, and mix well.
- In another bowl, put the almond flour, oat flour and baking powder and mix.
- Combine the wet mixture with the dry mixture into a smooth mixture. Pour the mixture into the baking pan and put in the oven and bake for between 25-35 minutes until a toothpick comes out dry from the cake.
- We will prepare the cream once the cake is ready: in a bowl, put the dark chocolate cubes, olive oil and coconut milk. Heat in the microwave in pulses of 30 seconds and mix well until you get a smooth and shiny uniform cream. Pour on top of the cake and spread it in circular motions over the entire surface of the cake, so that a little chocolate drips on its sides.
A little extra from me:
- The cake can be kept in the fridge in a sealed container for up to 5 days (Without adding fruit on top).
- If you want to make the cake just like in the picture, you will have to double the ingredients in the recipe. I baked two cakes separately, spread chocolate cream on one, put the other cake on top and spread chocolate cream again.
- The recipe is suitable for a round cooking pan 26cm (10.2”) diameter / big loaf baking pan (Not disposable).
- You can substitute the flour mixture in this recipe for 1½ cups of spelt flour (contains gluten),
- Almond flour can be substituted for oat flour.
- Oat flour can be substituted for rice flour / finely ground corn flour / buckwheat flour / teff flour / coconut flour / more almond flour.
- Click here to see how to grind oat flour at home.
- You can convert the sugar with half a cup of maple syrup / agave syrup and add another ¼ cup of almond flour.
- For a rich and tall cake, I recommend using 5 eggs.
- The decorated cake in the picture has about 250 strawberries on it. You can replace them with peach slices, fresh raspberries, grape halves, coconut flakes, chopped pecans, bananas or just put the divine chocolate cream on top of the cake 🙂
How to grind oatmeal at home 🙂