My beloved sweet potato,
My one and only love.
The most powerful root I know.
The sweet potato has an amazing taste and an insane texture,
It comes from the earth with the most addictive sweetness there is.
One bite of it and you will fall in love for life.
It’s so ingenious that it gives in to every texture we give it.
It can be crispy and caramelized,
It can be soft and fluffy,
And it can be liquid or thick.
We enjoy sweet potatoes in any way we serve them.
The sweet potato gives us earth and lands us,
It is an amazing super food and should be given more volume in our diet.
This time I decided to make my pancakes with sweet potatoes.
Sweet potatoes combined perfectly – with our beloved red lentil flour.
This is a super easy recipe,
Mix all its ingredients in an instant –
And put in the oven,
The rest of the magic will take place in it,
And the crispy edges of the latkes are the greatest happiness you will encounter.
My sweet potato latkes are wonderful when baked,
They are also great when fried.
The way you make them is entirely your choice,
In both ways you’ll get amazing and insane latkes.
A few short minutes of work and one huge joy that’s waiting for you just around the corner.
Happy and joyful latkes days to us all 🙂
Sweet Potato Latkes
Ingredients: suitable for 13-15 latkes
- 2-4 medium sweet potatoes grinded on the wide side of the greater (2 cups of grated sweet potatoes)
- ½ cup red lentil flour
- ¾ cup non-dairy / regular milk
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon salt (Depends on the level of saltiness you like)
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of nutmeg (Not a must)
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon garlic powder (Not a must)
- Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C) on turbo mode, and line a standard baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl put all the mixture ingredients, red lentil flour, milk, salt, baking powder and spices and mix well until forming a uniform mixture.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and grind them on the Wide side of the grater.
- Add the sweet potatoes to the bowl and mix well until forming a relatively thick mixture.
- Spray the parchment paper with olive oil, make equally sized latkes out of the mixture and place them on the parchment paper.
- Spray the latkes with olive oil and place another parchment paper on top (Place the top parchment paper without sealing it on the latkes).
- Put in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, after 20 minutes remove the top parchment paper and put the pan in the oven for another 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, flip the latkes, lower the oven temperature to 355°F (180°C) and bake for another 15 minutes until they are browned and beautiful.
Take out of the oven and eat a dreamy hanukkah bite 🙂
Serving suggestion: Next to my tzatziki-style dip that blends in wonderfully with my latkes (click here to see the recipe).
A little extra from me:
- Can be kept in a sealed box in the fridge for up to 4 days. Can be heated in the oven, microwave, frying pan, but the toaster is the most recommended 🙂
- The dip can be kept in the fridge in a sealed box, spartete from the latkes, for 2 days.
- The latkes can also be made with ½ a carrot and ½ a sweet potato instead of using only sweet potatoes.
- Red lentil flour can be substituted for chickpea flour / oat flour (Kindly note that these changes will give the latkes a soft, non-crispy texture.
- Click here to see how to grind red lentil flour at home.
How to grind red lentils at home 🙂